Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Solenoid Controller

Joined
Jun 20, 2026
Messages
53
Reaction score
109
Location
Australia
Hey Everyone,

I have just received my Aqualabs dual stage mini and surprised-not-surprised šŸ˜’ to see the solenoid is powered via USB. Of course it is because then it can be distributed worldwide and just ship the appropriate power adapter for outlet types.
IMG_2069.webp

However, it might be an opportunity.
If it had been a standard plug - I would have run it to a WIFI smart plug and just set to coincide with lighting on the new Chihiros fixture.
Why not buy one of these discontinued controllers that I could sync with the my chihiros app and wire this in?



IMG_2070.webp

I can’t find much about them but basically I think it’s an inline Bluetooth controller that would work with the app?
Thoughts please!!

I’m not at all useful with electronics but can wire up a trailer or job of that kind so love any tips.

Edit: the solenoid on my new setup is 12v 3W. So if the Chihiros solenoid is the same…. Technically this could just be wired in?
 
Last edited:
Another option:
I and many others here, use a Kasa smart power strip which not only has 6 controllable AC outlets, but also a couple USB controllable outlets. You can create an on-off schedule for the USB port just the same as the AC ports and it's cheaper than the Chihiros device you listed, at least on Amazon in the U.S. (check that, I see it's back to it's full price of $48, but it's often on sale for $40.)
 
Yeah copy that on the CO2 timing. I read Rocco’s awesome write up on the test kit and have one waiting to use.
I have similar power boards to the one you mentioned and also wifi controlled outlets like Phillips hue for my coffee machine and even my electric fence. I was was mostly interested in the ability to keep the co2 timer in the same My chihiros app, as I also have the inline heater and light so be neater than multiple apps. If the chihiros reg set is using a standard 12v 3W solenoid then it should work. Does anyone have the complete spec on them?
 
Another option:
I and many others here, use a Kasa smart power strip which not only has 6 controllable AC outlets, but also a couple USB controllable outlets. You can create an on-off schedule for the USB port just the same as the AC ports and it's cheaper than the Chihiros device you listed, at least on Amazon in the U.S. (check that, I see it's back to it's full price of $48, but it's often on sale for $40.)
I use the Kasa strips for everything, but I didn’t think you could program the USB ports. Can you do a screen shot of this in the app? The 6 AC outlets are all I see there.
 
I use the Kasa strips for everything, but I didn’t think you could program the USB ports. Can you do a screen shot of this in the app? The 6 AC outlets are all I see there.
Ah, I have to apologize. it was a Google Home power strip I was able to program the USB ports. I had a USB skimmer programmed on it but the strip was flaky so I don't us it anymore. I just assumed the Kasa strips had the same functionality, but you're right, they don't. Subtract 1 point from Kasa. 😄
 
Ah, I have to apologize. it was a Google Home power strip I was able to program the USB ports. I had a USB skimmer programmed on it but the strip was flaky so I don't us it anymore. I just assumed the Kasa strips had the same functionality, but you're right, they don't. Subtract 1 point from Kasa. 😄
Oh, too bad…that would have been a nice feature!
 
Or you can just hook everything up to home assistant. That's what I'm starting to do. Building an aquarium dashboard, amongst other things. The other bonus then is you can setup all the automations in the world to link them together.

I see your point though, i have so many "smart apps" now its a pain to manage them all.
Here is my little group on the front page of my android phone lol. I'm sure most people are the same these days.
Hopefully with home assistant, I'll gradually be able to consolidate most of them onto the one app.
Screenshot_20260710-135135~2.webp
 
Yeah the main aim is to streamline this into a single interface.
Like you I have an app for everything I have purchased in the last 5 years I recon. Even my oven and dishwasher have useless apps. Will be even better if later I decide to include auto dose and wifi hub. Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought the chihiros adapter and I’ll document the outcome and put something up in the DIY section in the coming fortnight. Naturally this will take at least a coulee of weeks to get here before this side project even begins.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top