Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal Ben's Plant Pharm 2.0

I got the best pic of my tank ever, and I'm disappointed it doesn't show on the forum well.
I'm testing trying to attach it as a file. Maybe it can be seen bigger and better.
Nope... guess not
I find that uploading them to your media album and adding them as a gallery embed is the best option.
 
Day 369

This tank turned 1 year old this week. The aquasoil is depleted. Lots of internet marketing and influencing makes me feel like I’m supposed to be frantically breaking it down and putting in fresh aquasoil, but it’s in an awesome sweet spot. I have virtually no algae.
The tank is looking awesome man, not sure why one would want to do anything with it. Assuming with the EI dosing, the aquasoil really doesn’t matter much. How long do you go between uprooting and replanting the plants to have the lower part of the background stems healthy?
 
I got the best pic of my tank ever, and I'm disappointed it doesn't show on the forum well.
@Naturescapes_Rocco how do you get your pics to look so good on the forum? Do you do what Jay mentions below?

I find that uploading them to your media album and adding them as a gallery embed is the best option.
I have a media album? I looked for it but can't find it.
 
The tank is looking awesome man, not sure why one would want to do anything with it. Assuming with the EI dosing, the aquasoil really doesn’t matter much.
I want to try different scapes but not super motivated right now. This is pretty vanilla and boring. Everything matches, but it's all so happy and sings to me when I walk up. I'll fiddle with in some day. Got to keep up with you. :ROFLMAO:

I'm dosing at wc and then a little daily. Its working. I think daily dosing works best with aquasoil. Other people might get good results doing differently, but this has worked great for me.

How long do you go between uprooting and replanting the plants to have the lower part of the background stems healthy?
I'm not sure yet. I uprooted every time while trying to clear out algae. This is my first cycle of just trimming and it was so easy to snip, trash, and walk away.

I'm going to have to figure something out soon. My plants are going to need trimming within a few days, this will put their next time for maintenance in the middle of my vacation. Ugh....
 
Tank is looking great!

Dunno what it is about media album and my brain but it takes a bit to get the hang of it.
Although I have a few now from figuring it out I finally created an album attached to my journal (I think 😂).
Once you create the album you upload images, fill out copyright, and save.
Then when you want one in a post click the option under text tools to add from the media album.

IMG_7587.webp
 
@Naturescapes_Rocco how do you get your pics to look so good on the forum? Do you do what Jay mentions below?
I take all pics with an iPhone 15 Pro, upload from my photo app to Dropbox, then I go to my computer and copy and paste from Dropbox into my scapecrunch post. The photos usually sit RIGHT below the maximum size allowed, so they're maximizing the quality. Sometimes I have to resize the image.

Also, copying the photo from Dropbox automatically converts it from HEIC (which isn't allowed on the forum) to jpeg.
 
The tank looks great! What's this plant hanging out behind the Kochi?
Pogostemon Kimberly from Joe.
I thought it was going to be too big for this tank... and it probably is, but I like it anyway.
Took this pic earlier.

1788105479570.webp
 
How much is your nitrate level just before water change ?
As luck would have it, wc day was yesterday, and I tested for you. It was 22. Note: I have a Lamotte test kit that measures nitrate-nitrogen. So whatever I get, is multiplied by 4.4. Hence the strange numbers.

I've done a bit more testing lately. My Erios are melting. Mostly my E truncatum. I found out my CO2 was down to 33. I don't think most of these need the high level of CO2 like E quinguangulare, but I think they need more than the normal 30. This is a guess. They could be getting too shaded too. I'm about to do a trim. I've bumped my CO2 back to 50. We'll see how it goes. The diffusion disk needed a good peroxide treatment.

You can see it's between 4 and 6, so 5 x 4.4 = 22ppm NO3

20260907_103836a.webp
 
Last edited:
If you follow my journal, you know I’ve been on a 2 week vacation. I was worried about my tank because last extended trip it didn’t do so well. This time it did great. I used a Chihiros doser to keep it dosed, and a friend came by every few days to top it off. I’m very pleased.

Much going on here, so I still haven’t changed the water. Hopefully soon.

Current Issues
My Erio truncatum is slowly melting. This is my favorite Erio. It’s done this every autumn. I assume this is its life cycle, but how does it know with consistent lighting and a heater? I thought the Limnophila aromatica Mini was shading it, but cutting that back didn’t help. I’m not sure what to do. I hope something makes it through like the last 2 winters. Anyone else have long term experience with this plant?

Secondly, I’ve decided while beautiful and super easy to grow, Limnophila aromatica Mini is a menace. It forms a thick canopy that grows over top neighboring plants shading and suffocating them. Hence the reason my awesome wall of R macrandra Kochi is missing in the last pic. One stem has survived. Sucks because I had told someone I would send them some. So the LA mini is on the way out. I placed an order with Cherries last Monday. Hopefully it ships next week. We’ll replace the LA mini with it. I can only remember one thing I ordered.

Sept 17: The day we left for the airport
091726.webp

Sept 23: The first pic my friend sent. Everything looks great. LA mini starting to take over. Minimal GDA
092326.webp

Sept 26: Still minimal GDA
092626.webp

Oct 1: Morning after we returned. Despite skimmer falling off the glass, the surface is fine. Plants look great. LA mini has taken over. Still not much GDA.
100126c.webp

100126b.webp

Oct 1: Same as above but after the glass has been cleaned and skimmer put back on the glass. Pretty good for a 2 week vacation.
100126a.webp

A couple gratuitous vacation pics. We did 3 states, ~2000 miles driving, 6 national parks, 3 national monuments, 3-4 state parks, and a national forest. The hiking up hills about killed me, but it was a great trip.
20260923_105754a.webp

20260921_104654a.webp

20260919_142152(1)a.webp

20260924_114249a.webp

20260922_084225a.webp

20260925_103006a.webp
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top