• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

Build Thread SkaleyAquatics Re-attempted Dutch

SkaleyAquatics

Community Member
Jun 20, 2023
Indiana
Hello Everyone,

So, 2 years ago I attempted my first Dutch aquarium that some of you may remember from various other forums.
It was this 10gal:
Last 10gal shot.jpg
Unfortunately life got busy and this tank became a disaster a few weeks after this picture was shot.

The good news is today starts a new Dutch aquarium. Taking what I learned 2 years ago and hopefully applying more patience this time around for this 40gal:
20240609_143412.jpg

This was literally setup today. And wanted to share my journey navigating the Dutch aquascaping scene.

Equipment:
Tank:
40gal breeder (36in x 18in x 16in)
Light - Fluval 3.0 Planted (Set to 80% for 6 hours with a ramp up and ramp down time of 1 hour total)
Filter - Aquaclear 70
Heater - Eheim Thermocontrol 125 - set to 72F/22C
CO2 - 10lb tank with Co2Art SE Pro regulator with intank diffuser (On 1.5 hours before lights on and off 2 hour before lights off)

Ferts:
Following @Unexpected fert numbers from his tank of the month post as a baseline to start. These are all front loaded besides the Micros:
NO3 30ppm
PO4 10ppm
K 40ppm
Fe .45ppm
Ca 24ppm
Mg 8ppm

pH and pH drop is currently unknown as I have tested it yet but will tomorrow after work to see numbers as the diffuser and check valve came in about an hour before lights on.
I am using a RO/DI unit that I have setup about 5 feet from the aquarium.

Plants:
  1. alternanthera reineckii var. 'roseafolia' TC
  2. bacopa carolina TC
  3. bolbitis heaudelotii difformis TC
  4. cryptocoryne lutea
  5. cryptocoryne Crispatula TC
  6. elocharis montevidensis
  7. hygrophila salicifolia
  8. hygrophila pinnatifida TC
  9. hygrophila lancea araguaia TC
  10. lobelia cardinalis TC
  11. ludwigia repens
  12. ludwigia palustiris
  13. rotala H'ra TC
  14. staurogyne repens TC
I am extremely excited to be able to start up another Dutch aquarium. and am looking forward to this journey. This aquarium is about 10ft from my desk in my mancave of the basement so it will get a lot of viewing from me.

Quick update today: I was finally able to get the pH drop, my old pH pen finally lost all of its sensitivity and I had to order another one. At peak pH I'm at 5.5, after letting it off-gas for 24hours it is at 6.7, a solid 1.2 pH drop. I would ideally like to get this down to a 1.5 drop but I am pretty happy with the 1.2 I currently sit at.

Quick update today: I was finally able to get the pH drop, my old pH pen finally lost all of its sensitivity and I had to order another one. At peak pH I'm at 5.5, after letting it off-gas for 24hours it is at 6.7, a solid 1.2 pH drop. I would ideally like to get this down to a 1.5 drop but I am pretty happy with the 1.2 I currently sit at.
@Yugang is better with the off gassing specifics but just letting it sit won’t get all the co2 for a nerd level starting pH. Your 1.2 could very easily be a 1.5 with a fully 100% degassed water sample. It’s probably close enough.

EDIT - scratch the yugang reactor stuff. I misread your filter, it won’t work with a HOB. My mistake.

@Yugang is better with the off gassing specifics but just letting it sit won’t get all the co2 for a nerd level starting pH. Your 1.2 could very easily be a 1.5 with a fully 100% degassed water sample. It’s probably close enough.

EDIT - scratch the yugang reactor stuff. I misread your filter, it won’t work with a HOB. My mistake.
My plan is to eventually get a canister and put a yugang reactor, I've pretty much followed that build since @Unexpected adapted it.

Back