Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Aquashella 2026 - Chicago, IL

JayP 432

Valuable Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2025
Messages
1,877
Reaction score
3,295
Location
Raymore, MO United States
Well...let's spend more money! I had thought about attending Aquashella - Chicago a few months ago but decided to pass this year. When I was thinking about it, they still didn't have the specific VIP guest list posted. Out of curiosity, I checked today and to my surprise, the man himself, Yusuke Homma, will be presenting the masterclass on Saturday. I can't pass that up when it's only an 8 hour drive. Ticket purchased, room booked. Anyone else attending?
 
Well...let's spend more money! I had thought about attending Aquashella - Chicago a few months ago but decided to pass this year. When I was thinking about it, they still didn't have the specific VIP guest list posted. Out of curiosity, I checked today and to my surprise, the man himself, Yusuke Homma, will be presenting the masterclass on Saturday. I can't pass that up when it's only an 8 hour drive. Ticket purchased, room booked. Anyone else attending?
I am so glad someone is going! I saw that Homma-San was scheduled for Chicago right before I left for Aquashella New Jersey. I seriously considered if I could possibly make it to both (I just can't make it work, sadly). Expecting a full report when you return! Take lots of pics!
 
I think for hardcore aquascapers, Aqua Forest Aquarium's booth is probably the top (and probably most expensive) place for us to hit. I know I've already spent money on the Shizuku build and will likely get more stuff from them. Also, if you're in the market for Manzanita wood, you'll want to check out Pet World's booth. I wish Tropica was also going to be at Chicago.
 
I think for hardcore aquascapers, Aqua Forest Aquarium's booth is probably the top (and probably most expensive) place for us to hit. I know I've already spent money on the Shizuku build and will likely get more stuff from them. Also, if you're in the market for Manzanita wood, you'll want to check out Pet World's booth. I wish Tropica was also going to be at Chicago.
I'll check those both out.
 
That would be a mandatory plane ticket for me. 😜
But then I'd have to deal with airport security tearing up my Shizuku like they did @Capraquaria 's

Also, gasoline is up about 34% over last year as where jet fuel is up more than 100%. No cheap airfare right now.
 
Here’s hoping all you who have attended are enjoying the event!
It was a long day and another day to go. I made the mistake of not making my big purchases early when VIP access meant fewer people. It was packed the entire day once general admission opened and then much harder to browse. I'll take better advantage of that time tomorrow. It was a great pleasure to meet Homma San and see him work in person. I'll post more photos and video once I'm back home. One of the things I did get today

1000001432.webp

1000001431.webp
 
I was there! My first time at Aquashella!
It was an awesome experience.
Got some ADA tissue cultures and a big bag of Amazonia V2 for 10% off.
The driftwood collection at the Pet World Inc stall was the best one I have seen in person. Wish I had the space for it. Ended up picking up a 22 Gallon long from Lifegard Aquatics for a great deal!
Will try to be there for the next one!
 
I'll tell you what, Homma-san wasn't messing around at Aquaslella. Before and after the masterclass on Saturday, he was helping out at the ADA/AFA booth. This morning he had the Q&A and again was helping get the booth tables restocked and organized. Then, surprisingly, he lead the shizuku workshop. Not only did I get a personal assist and critique, I also got reminded to "clean the mist off the glass fully", translated of course. Awesome! 😄
 
I'll tell you what, Homma-san wasn't messing around at Aquaslella. Before and after the masterclass on Saturday, he was helping out at the ADA/AFA booth. This morning he had the Q&A and again was helping get the booth tables restocked and organized. Then, surprisingly, he lead the shizuku workshop. Not only did I get a personal assist and critique, I also got reminded to "clean the mist off the glass fully", translated of course. Awesome! 😄
Also the person who served as his translator Kendo San is a President at ADA per what Ryan told me. So ADA really has invested in their support and everyone they send gets their hands dirty. They work some long hours setting up on Thursday and Friday. I was impressed how they are willing to get in the weeds and function like a startup at these shows.
 
I am curious why ADA does'nt invest in something like ADA USA similar to what they have done in India.
I think it has to do with their distributor contracts and relationships. AFA is basically the same as ADA India but they have their own website and didn't choose the name ADA USA at the time, also there used to be multiple US distributors. I saw they canceled ADA LAB Poland as an official distributor which is surprising so I am sure a lot goes into these distribution agreements.
 
I think it has to do with their distributor contracts and relationships. AFA is basically the same as ADA India but they have their own website and didn't choose the name ADA USA at the time, also there used to be multiple US dsitributors. I saw they canceled ADA LAB Poland as an official distributor which is surprising so I am sure a lot goes into these distribution agreements.
Got it makes sense. In addition to distribution, ADA india has some form of official training in aquascaping. I think it would be a cool thing to offer in the US too.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top