Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal Greggz 120G Rainbow Fish Tank - Part Deux!

I posted a picture earlier in this journal showing how when I moved the tank it ended up fitting neatly into a nook in the basement.

This past weekend we had some family over and were playing games and everyone was commenting how it was the perfect spot. So I went down a moment ago and took some pics to put the spot in context.

And to think I almost decided to downsize the tank when I moved. Now I am really glad it didn't. It was a LOt of work, but I am really liking it's new home.

View attachment 15687
View attachment 15688View attachment 15689
This is so sexy, my wife needs to up her game now!
 
Thanks. I feel the same way.

And we entertain a lot and are down in the basement quite often. In addition to the pool table there are Darts, Foosball, Ping Pong, Poker Table, and a Cocktail Vintage Centipede game. My son-in-law and I are pretty much degenerate gamblers so everything gets used on a regular basis.

I gave him a beating this weekend but it goes both ways......I've taken beatings too! :LOL:
That is an awesome relationship between a father and son in law.
 
Bacopa Colorata
Barclaya Longifolia
Blyxa japonica
Cabomba Furcata
Eriocaulon dalzeli
Gymnocoronis spilanthoides variegated
Hygrophila Corymbosa Cherry Leaf
Lagenadra Silver Powder
Does this keep it's silver/variagation underwater?
I've been trying to grow piptospatha ridleyi underwater (this isn't my picture):
1775063475235.webp
But it's an EXTREMELY slow grower and clearly a niche plant.

If Lagenandra Silver Powder keeps it's appearance underwater, I'd be super interested in it (not my picture either):
1775063534572.webp

What does yours look like @GreggZ ?
 
Does this keep it's silver/variagation underwater?
I've been trying to grow piptospatha ridleyi underwater (this isn't my picture):
View attachment 15711
But it's an EXTREMELY slow grower and clearly a niche plant.

If Lagenandra Silver Powder keeps it's appearance underwater, I'd be super interested in it (not my picture either):
View attachment 15712

What does yours look like @GreggZ ?
I just got it a short time ago and it's just a small little plantlet at this point that's settling in.

I don't see much variegation so far, but will get a pic sometime and post it here.

I got it from @Burr740 maybe he can speak to how the adult plants look?
 
That is an awesome relationship between a father and son in law.
Yeah I'm blessed to have two great son-in-laws.

The best part with this one is that he's 40 years younger and can't figure out how he's not killing me at everything. Drives him nuts! :LOL:
 
I mentioned last week that I picked up some Ludwigia inclinata 'Cuba' recently. I tried to find it submersed but couldn't find anyone who was keeping it. So I ended up getting it in emersed form and have it transitioning now.

For those who don't the difference when a plant is grown emersed it's grown out of the water. And many times it has a completely different form (color/shape) than the submersed version. When it goes into a tank it "transitions" into it's submersed form, which again can completely different than the emersed form.

So I thought I would try to document how the change takes place. Here is a pic of "Cuba" from an earlier pic of my tank.

20221029_170328x.webp

And here is a pic of the "Cuba" in the tank today. It's been in there for about a week, and you can see how the tips are starting to transition and change from the solid green of the emersed form. It's also starting to abandon the old growth and focus only on the new submersed leaves. I'll keep taking pics as it continues to transition. Keeping my fingers crossed that it fully converts and ends up being what I expect it be. Should be interesting.

20260407_183716.webp
 

Attachments

  • 20221029_170328x.webp
    20221029_170328x.webp
    110 KB · Views: 23
Cuba used to be in everybody's tank. It's one of my favorite plants. The orange/yellow/green is beautiful. I wish my tank was big enough for it. I'll enjoy yours until I can keep it again.
Yeah it's a big plant and a fast grower. And you can't tame it. It twists and turns however it likes, so it's hard to keep it manicured. Just a bit of a wild one.

Hopefully this works out. Like I said I haven't transitioned anything from emersed in a LONG while. We'll see.
 
Yeah it's a big plant and a fast grower
I forgot about that. Yeah, it was a maintenance nightmare in that respect.
I remember years ago the main company that sold it always sold with with a little present floating along. The dreaded aquarium VD.... Utricularia gibba. Was a nightmare. Getting emersed growth might have been the better option anyway.
 
"Cuba" is almost there. Getting algae on the older leaves as it abandons them. Growing very fast now but leaves a little crinkled. Hopefully they flatten out as it settles into it's new form. All in all transitioning much faster than I thought it would.
20260420_182750.webp
 
Hi Gregg may i ask a question, i like your tank and the history very much and have stared a lot of time on photos you took. Can you say which was your ever favorite state of it, an
d in particular, do you have an opinion about what is the best amount/relationship/percentage between the visible black background, and the color orchestra of the plants?
thanks cheers and lookinf forward for the next fullshot :)
 
Hi Gregg may i ask a question, i like your tank and the history very much and have stared a lot of time on photos you took. Can you say which was your ever favorite state of it, an
d in particular, do you have an opinion about what is the best amount/relationship/percentage between the visible black background, and the color orchestra of the plants?
thanks cheers and lookinf forward for the next fullshot :)
Hello @Ernesto.

Glad you have enjoyed the various posts and pics over the years. The funny thing is that when I look at any of the pics I have posted for some reason I only see how they could have been better and the flaws.

That being said most likely I liked this stage of the tank the best.

20221029_170328.webp
20221029_170344.webp
20221029_170402.webp

As to the amount of black background honestly I never give it much thought. Keep in mind with a tank like mine things grow so fast that any picture is just a snapshot in time. Five days later it will look different. And the next week it will look even more different.

And really any of my "scapes" or whatever you want to call them is just what looked good to my eye at the time. I do sit back and study the tank and put things in place with a purpose, but I've never did it based on any rules or artistic ideas I have read about. Once again it's really just what I like for whatever reason at the time.

And also keep in mind that a tank in that state takes a LOT of work to maintain. Lately I just haven't had the time and over the summer I've been keeping my tank with everything cut down pretty short to keep it simple with less weekly cutting and trimming. Doing my weekly maintenance in 20 minutes rather than the two hours I would spend at some points in time.

But now that fall is here I should have more time. I am an older guy now but funny my life seems busier than ever. I now have three grandsons, and between them and working and golfing and boating seems like there is hardly a spare moment in the summer months.

And honestly during the summer I'd rather be catching a bass with my grandson than spending time on the tank. That is some pure joy right there!!

Attach0_20260830_085843.webp
 
Last edited:
Wonderful post Gregg, and glad you are enjoying that family time. Does your grandson take interest in the tank?
Yes!

They all are very interested in the tank. But honestly it's not the plants but the Rainbowfish.

The movement and color mesmerizes them. They can look at it for a long time and just stare and watch the Rainbows cruise the tank. And my oldest who is almost two now LOVES when I feed them. He runs over to the tank and grabs the food, and I put some in his hand, he tosses it in, and the feeding frenzy puts a big smile on his face.

And the fishing season is at an end here. We went out one last time today before we wrap the boat for the winter. My Grandson has more fun than you can imagine. He loves everything fishing that is for sure. When all three are old enough to go we are going to need a bigger boat!

Here's the last catch of the year just a little more than an hour ago!!

20261011_124214.webp
 
When all three are old enough to go we are going to need a bigger boat!
Better start selling some cuttings then lol.


Nice catch! Bet that was a good fight to bring in. And I hear ya with the fish, my son loves watching the snails of all things. Only us nerds appreciate the plants 😭
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top