Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Building a fish bowl pedestal

Joined
Jan 30, 2026
Messages
130
Reaction score
313
Location
NC
I have been inspired by everyone’s awesome planted fish bowls. I have been researching and toying around with the idea of setting one up. I was working on building a nano frag tank set up for my saltwater side and got the itch to try something. So I started building the pedestal for a fish bowl. Now down the rabbit hole, I am bending a piece of trim to wrap my 12” platform.

IMG_2189.webp

IMG_2191.webp

IMG_2187.webp

IMG_2190.webp
 
Well bending the trim was a huge bust. I think I would be fine with a 16” diameter but the 12” was too small. I would need to invest in building a jig to it, and it’s just not worth the money for a one time use.

However my small coral frag grow out tank turned out decent. I made $200 selling coral this weekend so the small investment is justified.

IMG_2241.webp
 
Well bending the trim was a huge bust. I think I would be fine with a 16” diameter but the 12” was too small. I would need to invest in building a jig to it, and it’s just not worth the money for a one time use.
Could you maybe run a bunch of shallow cuts on the back of the trim first? Aka kerf bending.

1790074905635.webp
 
Could you maybe run a bunch of shallow cuts on the back of the trim first? Aka kerf bending.

View attachment 20343
I thought about it, but don't think it would work with the size moulding I would be using. I would then need a piece of trim for the trim!

If I want to continue with the round pedestal, I will likely have to buy a solid piece of wood and shape it with a router.

I was hoping to stain the pedestal. Without the trim, the plywood pedestal will have to be painted to cover the edges.
 
I thought about it, but don't think it would work with the size moulding I would be using. I would then need a piece of trim for the trim!

If I want to continue with the round pedestal, I will likely have to buy a solid piece of wood and shape it with a router.

I was hoping to stain the pedestal. Without the trim, the plywood pedestal will have to be painted to cover the edges.
Gotcha, maybe could get away with some edgebanding too.

I could definitely cut you a piece out of solid wood on my cnc, but shipping it from here might make it prohibitive.
 
I used to be a wooden boatbuilder. Bending moulding is a tough one given it ps different thickness in profile…

When it came time to bend wood .i placed stock in 4 inch pvc pipes mounted at an angle on the wall filled with water and would let it soak for a day or so.

From there it went into a steam box with a boiler feeding steam into the box. It would come oout of the steam box wiggly as spaghetti. You could pull down to a 6 inch radius, but you had to work fast and use clamps to hold it in place…

For a fish bowl stand I would opt for solid wood. I would laminate up a blank alternating grain growth rings and then cut a circle out of it and then use a router to route a decorative edge…

I would also likely scoop out the top of the round to have the fish bowl nestle into, but, that would be more of a flex to show off than any sort of necessity…
 
When it came time to bend wood .i placed stock in 4 inch pvc pipes mounted at an angle on the wall filled with water and would let it soak for a day or so.

This is what is did and it definitely made the wood more flexible.
From there it went into a steam box with a boiler feeding steam into the box. It would come oout of the steam box wiggly as spaghetti. You could pull down to a 6 inch radius, but you had to work fast and use clamps to hold it in place…
This I don't have and wouldn't likely use again.

For a fish bowl stand I would opt for solid wood. I would laminate up a blank alternating grain growth rings and then cut a circle out of it and then use a router to route a decorative edge…

I would also likely scoop out the top of the round to have the fish bowl nestle into, but, that would be more of a flex to show off than any sort of necessity…
I was trying this with all scraps I had in my shed. It was last minute project. Next time I would definitely invest in a solid piece of wood. I am currently looking on facebook market place for a either a slab of dry wood or a 12-14" trunk round/slab with live edge.

If I go with the trunk round I plan to cut out a 8-10" inset on the bottom to glue a piece of plywood to keep it from splitting long term. The trick is to find one completely dry without cracks already. I have thought about epoxy resin, but the idea was to keep all of this on the cheaper side to justify even doing it...
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top