Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal ADA 60F - Manten Stone & Manzanita

Joined
Jan 8, 2026
Messages
227
Reaction score
642
Location
Virginia, USA
I wasn't quite sure what to do with this tank after it was damaged, as I have been a little concerned with the corner chip that it may leak. My initial thought was to just propagate some mosses in it, or turn it into a small paludarium, as that would not require me to fill it all the way with water. Well, I couldn't help myself. Found some lovely pieces of sturdy Manzanita that worked well together, and the next thing you know, 45lbs of Manten Stone shows up on the door step. Before hitting Aquashella in New Jersey, it was almost through the dark start.

Hardware:
  • ADA Cube Garden 60F (60 x 30 x 25 cm)
  • Chihiros WRGB II Slim 60
  • Oase Filtosmart 100
  • Jardli Lily Pipes (12/16mm)
  • GLA Cartridge CO2 Kit
Hardscape & Subtrate:

  • Ancient Manten Stone (ARC) - 45lbs
  • Manzanita (sand blasted) - 4 pieces
  • UNS Controsoil Black (normal & fine)
  • ADA La Plata Sand

1000028083.webp

Finished hardscape:

20260831_212647.webp

This tank is intended to be slow, and low maintenance. Inspired by Jeff Senske's 'greening' method, this is principally an epiphyte tank, and there are no stems. However, it was a fun challenge to work in a relatively tight space, especially front-to-back, and play with scale.

I drained the tank yesterday, and started planting.

Foreground:
  • Bucephalandra Kedagang Japan
  • Anubias nana 'Petite'
  • Fissidens nobilis

Midground:
  • Bucephalandra Lamandau Mini Purple
  • Bucephalandra Kedagang 'Round Mini'
  • Anubias minima 'Dragon Claw'
  • Anubias barteri var. nana 'Mini Coin'
  • Fissidens fontanus (Manzanita)
  • Fissidens crispulus

Background:
  • Bucephalandra 'Petite Blue Chili'
  • Bucephalandra 'Petite Galaxy'
  • Anubias barteri var. nana 'Pangolino'
  • Fissidens Miroshaki

As the tank was in a dark start when the mosses arrived, I tied them to rocks, and dropped them in a tank with CO2 until I was ready to plant. Worked quite well, and was easy to just snip the Terra Line off and transfer the moss to the driftwood when planting. Kept it healthy, and growing. Of course, if I was smart, I would NOT have glued the wood down prior to the dark start. That made tying Fissidens to the wood a bit challenging yesterday, but finally got it done.

Fissidens fontanus wasn't too bad, as the main arch is elevated a bit more

20260927_114625.webp

Fissidens crispulus was a bit more tricky on the secondary arch, as that rock was squarely in the way. I noticed that crispulus was already pushing new green tips, as was the notoriously slow growing Miroshaki.

20260927_124419.webp

I am not a huge fan of gluing moss or epiphytes, if I can avoid it, mostly because it messes up the hardscape. The majority of the buce and anubias species were simply wedged into crevices in the rocks.

As there was a little exposed aquasoil on the left and right rear flanks, I grabbed the pot of Marsilea minuta I picked up at Aquashella, and stuffed a few in high back corners. I was going to put some HC Cuba back there, and still might, but will be using most of it in the Sensei Stone tank, so didn't want to open the TC just yet. Once I plant that tank, I might sneak a little Cuba into this tank.

20260928_050844(1).webp

I am not sure that a plant can really be adorable, but seriously, Bucephalandra 'Petite Galaxy', next to Anubias Pangolino? This buce is truly teeny tiny, and IF it survives, might be my new favorite detailing plant.

20260928_064025.webp

As the Tank is shallow, and the plants are slow, I am starting out at around 28% light intensity while the plants, mostly TC, settle in. Will dose for the next 7 days with Seachem Flourish Advance, and am starting the tank out with APT1.

Here's hoping the plant melting and algae gods are kind!

 
Last edited:
I really like this scape, good stuff. Any plan or setup on staying on top of detritus removal from the crevices. Currently trying to level up my maintenance plans so love hearing how other people go about it.
I had to clear a lot of debris yesterday after I scrubbed down the manzanita before planting. For the tight spots I used a plastic pipette to blast the debris out, and had a siphon going with some small silicone vacuum tubing to suction it out. Airline tubing would work, too. I could have used a turkey baster, but was concerned I would end up blasting the fine aquasoil across the sand. Of course, Once the mosses grow, I will have to be mindful of not getting any stuck in the narrow tubing.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top