Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Help ARC small acrylic reactor on 40 breeder 36x18

I can do some measurements and calculations when I'm back home this evening, but my thought is that the ARC reactor, even at the lowest setting, will result in more of a ph drop than you'ld likely want on a 40 breeder in overflow mode. On my approx. 48X18 tank, I'm getting over a 1.0 ph drop on the 2nd to lowest setting.
 
I can do some measurements and calculations when I'm back home this evening, but my thought is that the ARC reactor, even at the lowest setting, will result in more of a ph drop than you'ld likely want on a 40 breeder in overflow mode. On my approx. 48X18 tank, I'm getting over a 1.0 ph drop on the 2nd to lowest setting.
Per my Calculations I should only have a gas interface approx 0.6 inches wide. I’m thinking of orienting the reactor so the mounting bracket sits on the floor of my cabinet and putting the outlet as close to the apex of the tube as I can get
 
I took a look at my spare ARC reactor and it appears the smallest reactor surface area I could set it to, regardless of mounting position would be about 14.7 x 1.7 = 25 (reactor surface area)

My 40g breeder measurements inside glass-to-glass is about
35 x 17.5 = 612.5 tank surface area

That gives you a factor of
612.5 / 24.99 = 24.5

That should result in around a 1.4 ph drop, which may be OK, but you'd want to keep a close eye on things and maybe invest in the Hannah co2 titration test kit to confirm actual levels.
 
I took a look at my spare ARC reactor and it appears the smallest reactor surface area I could set it to, regardless of mounting position would be about 14.7 x 1.7 = 25 (reactor surface area)

My 40g breeder measurements inside glass-to-glass is about
35 x 17.5 = 612.5 tank surface area

That gives you a factor of
612.5 / 24.99 = 24.5

That should result in around a 1.4 ph drop, which may be OK, but you'd want to keep a close eye on things and maybe invest in the Hannah co2 titration test kit to confirm actual levels.
Thank you for checking. Why on earth are these advertised for 10 gallons and up? At any rate I’m going to try it out at the smallest surface area I can get it. I have an Apera Ph-60 and the Hanna titration kit on hand. Thanks again for the effort and measurements.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top