Welcome to ScapeCrunch

We are ScapeCrunch, the place where planted aquarium hobbyists come to build relationships and support each other. When you're tired of doom scrolling, you've found your home here.

Journal 62G AIO Dirty Soil Lagoon

The rocks I’ve used for the last several years I had no issues, so I plan to just source more of those. I was trying to go a different direction with some different colors and texture for reasonable cost. The ones I had from previous layouts didn’t work with my new layout so I took the opportunity to try something different. I love this hobby but there’s just certain areas I put my foot down with expense, not to mention, I have no local source for aquascaping stone. I like to pick my pieces, not get a box of “you get what you get.”
I get it, there is no local source for me either other than landscaping yards and me testing them. Most of the river pebble I have tried here is safe but most is beige and grey.

For purchased stone, its expensive but the AFA/ADA Sansui stone boxes are really nice. If I buy stone again that is what I am buying. Emailing to see it first too.
 
I’m with you on the stone. If it’s noticeably breaking up and clouding the water after a brushing who knows what it’s leeching into the water column.
Hang in there man. I know the feels of weekly marathon maintenance, removal, cleaning. It gets tiresome and frustrating but once you get it sorted and hit that balance it all can melt away very quickly!
 
I bought a bunch of cheap river cobble from a rock yard sometime back, thinking all of it would be inert. A few of the lighter colored pieces failed the acid test with a couple drops of Nitrate test solution #2. The darker stuff all passed.
 
I bought a bunch of cheap river cobble from a rock yard sometime back, thinking all of it would be inert. A few of the lighter colored pieces failed the acid test with a couple drops of Nitrate test solution #2. The darker stuff all passed.
I tested with vinegar but that may not have been a strong enough test and I didn’t test all of them. Just unfortunate, some of the rocks are really beautiful to have, but not worth them not being able to be bonded together or literally becoming a detritus storm when I scrub most of them.
 
I tested with vinegar but that may not have been a strong enough test and I didn’t test all of them. Just unfortunate, some of the rocks are really beautiful to have, but not worth them not being able to be bonded together or literally becoming a detritus storm when I scrub most of them.
get some muriatic acid and dilute it heavily 20 to 1. Fill the bucket with water first then poor it in. As for disposal just dilute it with more water to wash it out. You wont need more than 50-100ml.
 
Well, this tank continues to piss me off and leave me aggravated week by week. I have gone through a lot of plants just struggling to gain footing. Growth rate is quite slow, resulting in lower leaves getting absolutely riddled with algae, and only the newest growth surviving. It’s an end less cycle of removing the lower stem, topping with fresh clean growth, and starting all over again
I feel your pain, as I'm having the same struggles with my garden tank. I'm kicking myself for attempting this tank as my first inert substrate tank as well as changing over to Joe's fertilizers at the same time. I'm really struggling to get things in balance, and I'm also burning through some plants. I should have stuck with the APT ferts I was comfortable with until the tank was running well and everything was happy and established, then made the change to the new ferts. I still may do that.
 

Top 10 Trending Threads

Back
Top