• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

What got you hooked on the hobby?

What hooked you on the hobby?

• Beautiful aquascapes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Science of growing plants

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Creating an ecosystem

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I love all gardening

• The community

• Total voters
* I was sure I wanted an oscar, so I ordered a huge frameless 120G display tank
* I decided one fish would be too boring while I was cycling the tank
* I decided I would keep a group of 6x electric blue acaras and 6x bolivian rams, I went and got my fish!
* wife talked me into 3 pearl guorami as well
* rams practically DOA, the one who survived was an ass, so I rehomed, eventually 3 acaras were rehomed due to aggression
* added a severum who was quarter-size, and some juvenile koi angels
* added an eartheater cichlid (Jurupari)
* eventually added dwarf neon rainbows and removed 2 acara leaving only one
* around this time I added CO2 and got serious about growing plants
* removed the Jurupari because he found a much bigger home where he could dig and not disturb plants
* now the future looks like I'll keep adding dwarf rainbows here and there, keeping huge jungley plants, and doing whatever the gold severum asks because he is lord and I will do his bidding

What really gives me satisfaction on this journey is the ability to keep changing things and trying to find a balanced system that benefits both my enjoyment and the inhabitants.

As well, keeping the veggie-loving severum with plants is a hoot because I can now outgrow his appetite easily and it's fun to watch him occasionally sample the goods. They said it couldn't be done heh

I've kept fish tanks on and off for years, since being a kid actually, however they'd always consisted of ornaments like castles, shipwrecks skulls and whatever else, hardly any plants. Always had some really cool fish though.

A little over a year ago, I happened to stumble across pictures of Gregg Zydeck's rainbow tank. That was it for me, totally hooked!

A little over a year ago, I happened to stumble across pictures of Gregg Zydeck's rainbow tank. That was it for me, totally hooked!
People used to say this about Amano's tanks. @GreggZ, you've hit the big time!

I was initially hooked with the fish. I must have been around 10 years old. Then in the 1980's, I ran into the book, The Optimum Aquarium by Dupla. Changed my entire view of the hobby and plants became my obsession.

Of course, Amano's books came out in the 1990s and that sealed the deal.

I had been keeping low tech planted Rainbowfish tanks for many years. Was searching around the internet and came across tanks by Tom Barr, Vin Kutty, and Joe Harvey. That's all it took. I was all in!! Glad to say I consider them all friends these many years later.
Not exactly sure how I got involved with planted tanks exactly - but I have a feeling it was probably Gregg's fault somehow :)

Back