• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

What can we do to grow and get more females into the hobby?

Are women not as interested in the hobby, or could they just be less likely to join forums and competitions as so keep a lower profile …
Some of my other hobbies seem very male dominated as well (bonsai, ponding) and I often wonder why. However, at in-person club meetings the ratio evens out. Koi ponding is usually a husband/wife endeavour but often it is the husband who uses the forum.
For bonsai, and indeed aquascaping, you would think more women would be the norm - it seems to be true for other types of gardening and plant related activities. I think more often than not it is mothers who set up fish tanks for their kids, rather than dad’s. I know I often used my kids as an excuse to get more animals including aquariums, citing educational purposes, when I really just wanted them for myself … lol!

That is a good question!

I always thought that gardening was more female dominated or at least 50/50. By extension, aquatic gardening should be similar but it's not.

Would love the personal experience of the AquaGirls Rock group to see if there's a pattern we can start addressing.

Back