• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

What are some rare and pretty fish for a planted tank?

RickyV

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for rare fish I can add to the Build Thread - 1000 Gallon High Tech Planted Tank I was requested to look for fish few people have, are beautiful, and are expensive. One good contender I found with this criteria are the honey blue eye rainbowfish.
P.mellis.GS.jpg

The one seller I could find has them at $80 USD and limited quantity. I would likely setup a breeding project for them.

What are other less common fish like these? Although pretty and colorful are the main ones I am looking for, I am open to hear about other rare fish. Also inverts.

I am not an expert in this, but I keep an eye on all the expensive Hyphessobrycon over at Aquatic Clarity. One day I'll splurge and get a school of something exciting like H. myrmex, H. peugeoti, or H. procyon. There are too many to choose from.

Now, I have not ordered from him myself, but Jeff seems to have a good reputation online. I encourage you to do your homework there. He gets a lot of rare wild caught stuff and he might be a good source to look into for a hook up to source something extra special.

I just got a bunch of Thayeria red-tail tetras in. (Thayeria teles pires? Some debate about that apparently.). They're gorgeous. Got them from The Wet Spot; currently out of stock, but prices ranged from $20-60 each.
Most of the fancy/pretty danios and rasboras I like to keep in planted tanks aren't expensive. Danio tinwini, Devario auropurpureus, Danio erythromicron, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpeg
    IMG_1860.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 4
Back