• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

Hello Welcome, DTWGulo

Welcome the forum @DTWGulo .

Good to see another Michigander join! I am from Novi. Looking forward to learning more about your planted tank journey.

Hello and thanks for the warm welcome! I've been involved in planted tanks for about 7 years now, having expanded from a 30 gal low-tech up to a 180gal high-tech and lots in between. Currently working on Paludariums, but I have a 48x30x24 custom acrylic coming so I can build a high-flow river/riparian setup. Attached a photo of my 180, which is due for a rebuild after 2 years.

Attachments

• DF01BF5A-D352-4CD6-823F-A669AF020735.jpeg
    DF01BF5A-D352-4CD6-823F-A669AF020735.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Smaller paludarium's terrestrial portion.

Attachments

• F076E9C6-5F21-4B35-BEED-BE85F38C19DC.jpeg
    F076E9C6-5F21-4B35-BEED-BE85F38C19DC.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Hello and thanks for the warm welcome! I've been involved in planted tanks for about 7 years now, having expanded from a 30 gal low-tech up to a 180gal high-tech and lots in between. Currently working on Paludariums, but I have a 48x30x24 custom acrylic coming so I can build a high-flow river/riparian setup. Attached a photo of my 180, which is due for a rebuild after 2 years.
Very nice! That's a great looking tank. You will fit right in here.

Consider starting a build thread in the Members Tanks forum.

Myself and I am sure many others would like to hear more about your set ups.

Be sure to post more about the substrate in the planted tank. I'm curious. Also, is it using a sump?

Be sure to post more about the substrate in the planted tank. I'm curious. Also, is it using a sump?
Yup! I have a custom sump in the stand. So much easier than a canister filter!

Substrate is ADA Amazonia. Was great for about 18 months, but I think it's pretty exhausted now. Also settled a LOT from the start.

Reactions: Art
Thanks. I love sumps too if you have the right overflow setup.

ADA soil settling/exhausting is something I'd love to get more data on. I have conflicting anecdotal evidence that it starts to become a detriment to the environment at about the time you're mentioning.

Perhaps this is why Marian does his resets every 4 months?

Back