• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

How often do you need to refill or swap your CO2 tanks?

RazzVegas

Community Member
Nov 5, 2022
Las Vegas
Just curious how often you guys exchange or refill ypur CO2 tanks. Please include CO2 tank size, aquarium volume and method of injection (diffuser or reactor).
I have a 20lb CO2 tank on a 135G using a reactor. I normally go 3 months before I need to swap tanks.

Based on the couple of replies, i need to figure out why Im swapping out so often. Greggz and Immortal1 CO2 last 10 to 12 weeks but uses 10lb tanks. I have a 20lb with about the same water volume and can only get about 12 weeks with a 1.2 Ph drop. I checked for leaks and dont detect any. Even checked the CO2 tubing. Running a 24" NilocG advance reactor being fed by a Sunsun 304B (525 gph I think)

This factor I think all depends on how much you’re injecting and your setup. For instance with my sump setup, I have a 5lb tank and a high injection rate. My tank lasts about 2+ months or so. I should really upgrade to a 10lb but space is an issue for me. Not to mention, gas isn’t really cheap by me and I don’t want to swap my tank since it’s brand new. A fill up is $25+ and IMO, that’s expensive, for a 10lb I’d be at $50 per fill. GTFO with that noise!

This factor I think all depends on how much you’re injecting and your setup. For instance with my sump setup, I have a 5lb tank and a high injection rate. My tank lasts about 2+ months or so. I should really upgrade to a 10lb but space is an issue for me. Not to mention, gas isn’t really cheap by me and I don’t want to swap my tank since it’s brand new. A fill up is $25+ and IMO, that’s expensive, for a 10lb I’d be at $50 per fill. GTFO with that noise!

$25 does seem like alot. I'm at $18 for a 5lb. And as you know, I'm on Long Island :ROFLMAO:

$25 does seem like alot. I'm at $18 for a 5lb. And as you know, I'm on Long Island :ROFLMAO:
Yes sir, used to hit up a paintball place in farmingdale in the industrial area and they charged me $15 for 5lbs, that was back in the early 2010’s. Where I live it’s most commercial companies selling gas and they all want to do swaps or they take DAYS to fill up a tank, not on site service. Rather annoying!

@*Ci* ill have to check your right, just making an assumption currently.

Based on the couple of replies, i need to figure out why Im swapping out so often. Greggz and Immortal1 CO2 last 10 to 12 weeks but uses 10lb tanks. I have a 20lb with about the same water volume and can only get about 12 weeks with a 1.2 Ph drop. I checked for leaks and dont detect any. Even checked the CO2 tubing. Running a 24" NilocG advance reactor being fed by a Sunsun 304B (525 gph I think)
Yeah that's interesting. Do you run a bubble counter or flow meter? With a flow meter easier to compare flow rates.

Yes sir, used to hit up a paintball place in farmingdale in the industrial area and they charged me $15 for 5lbs, that was back in the early 2010’s. Where I live it’s most commercial companies selling gas and they all want to do swaps or they take DAYS to fill up a tank, not on site service. Rather annoying!

@*Ci* ill have to check your right, just making an assumption currently.

that makes sense, mine is just a small fire extinguisher shop in East Northport so the service is more personal. They even give out candy and pens. LOL

This is a pretty basic question, but how do you guys secure your canister in your car/truck after it's filled to prevent it from tipping over. I usually lean it slightly in the front passenger foot area and put something in there so it can move. I'm guessing many use bungee cords.

This is a pretty basic question, but how do you guys secure your canister in your car/truck after it's filled to prevent it from tipping over. I usually lean it slightly in the front passenger foot area and put something in there so it can move. I'm guessing many use bungee cords.
I put mine on the floor in the back seat on the passenger's side, then move the passenger's seat all the way back to pinch it between the two seats. It won't work for all vehicles, but it works in mine.

I put mine on the floor in the back seat on the passenger's side, then move the passenger's seat all the way back to pinch it between the two seats. It won't work for all vehicles, but it works in mine.

I think I'll try that next time. That's even within my DIY skill set.

Yeah I go to a fire shop too but the one I used to go to their machine went down during Covid and they haven’t gotten it fixed yet. So now I’m stuck with the higher rate

Seems like the Fire Ext places are the most reasonable. Funny thing, I was about 12 minutes from the one I was using in East Northport. So I moved further east to East Setauket and now I'm about 40 minutes from there. So I made some calls and two places recommended the one I was using in East Northport.

Yeah that's interesting. Do you run a bubble counter or flow meter? With a flow meter easier to compare flow rates.
I have a bubble counter. Thing doesnt have any fluid since I cant really count the bubbles. I can visually see the CO2 bubble in my reactor. I realize that a flow meter is way better controlling CO2 but I havent touched my needle valve in months. As long as I have a 1.2 Ph drop is all it matters to me. Im at a lost since I cant find any leaks. Checked everything with soapy water. Regulator, tubing, check valve. I dunno. Maybe my reactor isnt as good as I thought? I got my bypass valve fully closed. Maybe too much flow from my canister?

Just curious how often you guys exchange or refill ypur CO2 tanks. Please include CO2 tank size, aquarium volume and method of injection (diffuser or reactor).
I have a 20lb CO2 tank on a 135G using a reactor. I normally go 3 months before I need to swap tanks.
This seems high - on my 120; i use a 10 lb canister with an in tank diffuser and it seems to last 4 or 5 months. On my 40 I have a 20lb canister with in tank diffuser and it will likely last a bit over a year. Of course you might be using more co2 than myself - or there might be another problem. I have my regulator on a smart plug and it goes on about 40 minutes before lights turn on and goes off around 30 minutes before the lights go off (the lights spend an hour ramping up and down so i don't startle the fishes).

For the 10lb they charge me between $20 and $25 to fill it - the price hasn't changed in 3 years; i haven't had to fill the 20 yet.

Back