• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

Front loading macros - a few questions

JuJuFish

Community Member
Jul 20, 2023
Louisiana
My 100 gallon tank was cooking along just fine until a few months ago when my large Amazon Sword started struggling. Yellowing of leaves. Just not as robust as normal. Other plants seemed to be ok. It's a low tech tank and I do roughly 20% water changes weekly. I was dosing PPS-Pro with daily micro and macro doses per the recipes on GLA's website. I then read about front loading macros and got Greggz to help me get started.

I have a 32 gallon Brute can with roughly 29 gallons of water in it. Targets are NO3 -25, PO4 - 2.5, and K - 32. Using the Rotala Butterfly calculator I came up with a formula that adds KNO3 4.47g, KH2PO4 393mg, and K2SO4 245mg. After starting that routine, the sword began to look better but after a few weeks started to go downhill again.

Then I read Joe's advice against front loading with such small water changes without adding in additional doses of macros during the week. So when I was mixing up last week's water, I decided to test the Nitrate (in the makeup water) prior to the water change. Using the Salifert test kit, I got a reading of around 10ppm. I tested again and got the same results. I added an additional 5g NO3 to the reservoir and retested and got closer to 20ppm.

So are my calculations wrong and I'm not adding enough NO3 to the reservoir? Or could the test kit be wrong? Or something else?

Thanks,
Jenny

Is the sword your only plant your seeing major issues with? If that’s the case, adding a root tab underneath it would make a big difference. Echinodorus species are nutrient hogs so it would be one of the first to show issue if something is even slightly off.

Any ideas on the discrepancy between what I think I’m adding to the reservoir and what the test results say?

Back