• Welcome to ScapeCrunch!

We are a friendly, online community of people interested in planted aquariums. We support and help each other learn and grow. It is our sincere hope that you will join us and find our tight-knit community valuable and fun!

ScapeCrunch is different than Facebook Groups. Here's how:

• It is a place where you can make long-term friends in the planted aquarium hobby and have long, multi-day talks on specific subjects.
    • Unlike social media, online communities like ScapeCrunch are much better at curating collective knowledge and in fostering deeper relationships.
    • They lend themselves better at long-form discussions.
    • You can maintain a thread on your personal aquarium with pictures and details. Other members can comment, help and ask questions. You can do the same with their Member Tank threads.

Where Facebook is more like a large city-wide party, ScapeCrunch is more like your neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name. And they're always glad you came." It's always fun to go to large parties but it's at the local bar that you feel people really know you. The great part is that you can and should go to both!

Please consider joining to become a full fledged member of our growing community of planted aquarium obsessed enthusiasts. Let's grow together!

Join Us!

Any issues with this plant list?

Jellopuddinpop

Jan 23, 2023
CT, USA
Hi everyone!

I’m putting together my plant list for my new aquascape, and noticed a different thread on here where people had mentioned the difficulty combining demanding stems with less demanding plants. I was wondering if you all might be able to look through my plant list and let me know if there are any plants in here I should consider changing out. I don’t want to end up in a pickle where half the tank is going to struggle, and have to replant the whole thing again…

Corkscrew Val
Blyxa Japonica
Lobelia Cardinalis
Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
Staurogyne Repens
AR Mini
Various Buce / Anubias
Penthorum Sediotes
Purple Cabomba
Barclaya Longifolia

My biggest concern is getting enough light / nutrients to get the color from the Cabomba and AR mini without making turning the Buce / Anubias into algae magnets. Any advice?

This plant list looks good. No problems with combining plants. What is Penthorum Sediotes? I looked it up and quite honestly have never heard of it in the hobby. Doubt its aquatic... As for Anubias and Buce it is a misconception they only like lower lighting levels. If parameters are good and CO2 on point they grow like crazy under high light.

This plant list looks good. No problems with combining plants. What is Penthorum Sediotes? I looked it up and quite honestly have never heard of it in the hobby. Doubt its aquatic... As for Anubias and Buce it is a misconception they only like lower lighting levels. If parameters are good and CO2 on point they grow like crazy under high light.
Sorry, spelled it wrong; Penthorum Sediodes. I got this from @Burr740 a while ago, and it's a nice, easy grower.

Edit: RE: the Buce & Anubias, I've seen them grown well under very high light, but I'm not very confident in my ability to do it. I've had a tank full of very healthy stems growing like weeds, but have never been able to keep my Buce algae free. I 100% believe it's possible, but I just don't think I'm there yet.

It's less about the actual selection of plants and more about where you place them, how much light they get, how much maintenance you are willing to do, etc etc. You can definitely have a high light setup with totally algae-free slow growers but it is going to be more difficult and require you to keep the tank very clean, constantly trim fast growing stems, etc. High light is just harder for many reasons and plant selection is just one variable that you can control to make it a bit easier on yourself. Simple strategies like placing the slow growers / broad leaf plants out of direct light (lower, near front/back of tank, etc) help a lot too.

The main reason I recommended going low-light in that thread in particular are because the tank in question is massive and would require a ton of maintenance to avoid algae in high light.

Your list is totally fine, just go for it!

My biggest concern is getting enough light / nutrients to get the color from the Cabomba and AR mini without making turning the Buce / Anubias into algae magnets. Any advice?
Is purple cabomba the same as furcata. Under around 70ish PAR my furcata is more crimson, then purple. AR mini doesn't need a ton of light to stay red, but it's an algae magnet if the tank isn't sparkly clean. Also, AR mini never stays mini for me.

Is purple cabomba the same as furcata. Under around 70ish PAR my furcata is more crimson, then purple. AR mini doesn't need a ton of light to stay red, but it's an algae magnet if the tank isn't sparkly clean. Also, AR mini never stays mini for me.
I think they're different plants; or at a minimum, they're listed separately on aquariumplantsfactory.com

What is Penthorum Sediotes? I looked it up and quite honestly have never heard of it in the hobby. Doubt its aquatic
Penthorum sedoides has been around for a while. I first got it from Joe about 5 years ago. Definitely aquatic and a nice looking plant and easy to scape with. You can let grow a little taller for mid ground or keep it short and makes a nice foreground plant too.

Back